Tuesday 25 March 2014

Animation Development Work

My practical work will be based on the lecture about Visual Literacy. The reason for this is that during the lecture, a particular slide that confused most of the people there. The slide showed a picture of the symbol of Mars and Venus, which are also used to symbolise male and female. The male symbol was pink and the girl symbol was blue, which caused a lot of the people to mistake the two. This raised an interesting thought about why the majority quickly thought the colours meant the gender and not the shapes of the symbols. The whole situation felt like a visual representation on the way society views gender, not as the genuine thing but rather how they act, because association with colours something society thought of, but symbols should be the logical aspect to point to. This is further emphasised by the fact that in the 1920s, pink was considered a more masculine colour, and it seems like it's too quick a time for people to now being sub-concsiously drawn to the idea that pink is for females.


I thought about how could further antagonise this crowd by making this in such a manner that would really get them lost. They looked at the original slide for at least thirty or more seconds, so I thought my version would be a series of images that may or may not be coloured the way they would imagine, and they'd have less than a second per image to get them right.



I figured I would go for a simple look, to show the juxtaposition of their confusion whilst watching it.
This pacing felt right so I developed this into a first draft:



I showed this to people to see if they could follow it. They said they could but whether their mind really played tricks on them or they could just follow it okay, I felt like I had to make it more complicated. SO here's the final version:



As you can see, it has a faster pace, as well as some parodic music to. This one did a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment